The Lagos state government has berated operators of ‘Korope’ minibuses for obstructing traffic along the Lekki–Epe expressway in protest against restrictions on their operations.
The government described the action as disruptive and contrary to prior agreements on transport reforms.
In a rejoinder issued on Tuesday, Sola Giwa, special adviser to the governor on transportation, said the corridor had been officially redesignated a Mass Transit and Regulated Transport Corridor under the Bus Reform Initiative (BRI).
The policy, which took effect following the December 2025 rollout of high- and medium-capacity buses on the Lekki–Epe axis, seeks to enhance safety, efficiency, and economic viability in public transport.
Giwa said the ban on unregulated Korope minibuses was not abrupt or selective, but followed extensive stakeholder consultations with transport unions, operators, and associations, alongside sensitisation programmes, public notices, and advance warnings to facilitate smooth compliance.
He expressed regret that some operators, fully aware of the regulatory framework, opted to obstruct the busy expressway, a key economic link serving residential, commercial, industrial, and maritime zones, including the Lekki Free Trade Zone, causing inconvenience to thousands of commuters and jeopardising public safety and productivity.
Giwa praised the Nigeria Police Force for their quick response in clearing the blockage.
He said he had personally engaged area commanders along the corridor, securing pledges for increased patrols, stricter enforcement, and ongoing monitoring to deter future incidents.
In April 2025, the Lagos state government warned minibus drivers against illegal road parking and route violation.